Foundation North does not collect a large amount of Personal Information about individuals, but we recognize that all personal information is sensitive and, where we do, we treat it with care and respect.
This Privacy Statement sets out our practices regarding the collection, use, storage and disclosure of your Personal Information in compliance with the Privacy Act 2020. This statement relates to the collection of Personal Information via our website or any other ways we collect Personal Information, during our interactions with you.
In this Privacy Statement, the terms ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’ refer to Foundation North and the terms ‘you’ and ‘your’ refer to you as a website user, or applicant.
‘Personal Information’ means any information about an individual that allows an individual to be identified.
Collection of Personal Information
In order to conduct our business, we may collect your Personal Information – including your email address, name, phone number and mailing address – in the following circumstances:
- when you complete forms on our website or elsewhere (including registration forms, application forms and other forms);
- when you create, modify, or use any accounts or registered user facilities available through our website;
- in the course of receiving questions, comments or other communications from you; or
- as you navigate through our website, certain information may be passively collected (that is, gathered without your active participation) using various technologies and means, such as Internet Protocol addresses, cookies, Internet tags, and navigational data collection. Information collected may include server addresses, top-level domain names, dates and times of visits to the website, pages accessed, and documents downloaded, previous websites visited and the type of browser used.
We will usually only collect Personal Information directly from you. We may also collect Personal Information from third parties where it is unreasonable or impractical to collect Personal Information from you directly, where you have authorised collection from such third parties or from publicly available resources.
The Foundation uses third party services on our website to collect information on site visitors and their interactions.
Use of Personal Information
The Personal Information we collect will be used to provide services you have authorised or requested. We may also use the Personal Information we collect to:
- assess, fulfil and monitor your organisation’s application for funding;
- communicate with your organisation in respect of your application;
- carry out internal research and development, including planning for future funding;
- prepare communications in respect of funding outcomes and case studies (where possible, we will anonymise Personal Information for this purpose);
- verify your identity and assist you in case you forget your password or login details;
- respond to any questions or correspondence from you;
- manage and improve our website and any related services;
- provide you with information about a service that you are using (including critical updates and announcements);
- reduce the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information;
- customise our website to suit your particular preferences and interests;
- where you create a message using our website (for the purpose of sending that message to us, or to any other recipient specified by you), send that message;
- analyse website usage, trends and statistics;
- with your permission, supply you with further information concerning products and services which may be of interest to you; or
- carry out any other use that is authorised by you or is notified to you at the time of collection.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- any third party you have authorised us to share your personal information with, or we have notified you that we may share your personal information with and you have not objected;
- government or law enforcement agencies, where we believe that it is reasonably necessary to assist with the maintenance of the law;
- appropriate third parties where necessary to protect your safety or the safety of others;
- suppliers of outsourced functions such as our auditors, lawyers or data storage providers;
- our stakeholders, such as community groups, charitable trusts or our trustees, for the purpose of assessing, fulfilling or monitoring funding applications or otherwise managing our business; or
- any other agency where required or permitted by law.
You have the right to unsubscribe from our publications and newsletter at any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication received. Once you have unsubscribed you will be removed from our mailing list as soon as is reasonably practicable.
Third party websites
Our website may contain hyperlinks to third party websites. We are not responsible for the content of such websites, or the manner in which those websites collect, store, use, and disclose any Personal Information you provide. When visiting a third party website from hyperlinks displayed on our website, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide will be will collected, stored, used and disclosed.
Storage of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is held by Foundation North, 50 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby, Auckland 1011.
The information collected on, or through, our website is stored on secure servers. Other Personal Information we collect is stored for us by our trusted cloud-based data storage providers.
We will not retain your Personal Information for any longer than we have a lawful purpose to use it.
Whether your Personal Information is stored by us locally or with our data storage providers, we take all reasonable steps to ensure that it’s protected against loss, misuse and unauthorised access, use, modification, or disclosure.
We believe that privacy is everyone’s responsibility. Our employees have been trained to understand the Privacy Act 2020 and we all adhere to a number of policies and practices designed to ensure that your personal information is safe and secure. For example, we:
- expect our employees to access and use personal information only for legitimate work purposes;
- have clear policies in place to manage the transmission of personal information and the use of portable devices, such as smartphones and tablets;
- ensure that all hardware we use is password protected and enabled with an auto lock function; and
- have a clear procedure for responding to and managing any data breaches that affect the personal information we hold.
Right to access and correct your Personal Information
You have the right to access or correct any Personal Information Foundation North holds about you. You can do so by:
- Calling us on 0800 272 878
- Emailing us at email@example.com
to us at
The Privacy Officer,
PO Box 68-048,
Victoria Street West, Auckland 1142
Whichever way you make your request, we must take steps to ensure that you’re authorised to do so. Please understand that we must do this in order to protect your privacy.
The Privacy Act permits us to withhold Personal Information from you in certain circumstances, such as where the information is commercially sensitive or legally privileged. We might also refuse to provide you with information that is also about other people if we think this would be unwarranted. If we withhold information from you, we’ll tell you why.
We’re required by the Privacy Act 2020 to make a decision on your request – and convey this to you – within 20 working days. Where we cannot make a decision within 20 working days, we’ll let you know and explain why.
Questions or Complaints
If you have a concern about the way we’ve handled your Personal Information, let us know. You can speak with our Privacy Officer using the contact details set out above and we’ll try to resolve your concerns.
If we can’t resolve your complaint for you, then you have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by:
- completing an online complaint form at www.privacy.org.nz; or
- writing to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143.
Click here for a full copy of our Privacy Statement.
Changes to our Privacy Statement
From time to time, we may change this Privacy Statement, to reflect the evolution of our business or changes in the law. Please check the Privacy Statement periodically for changes. Your continued use of our website or services following the posting of any changes to the Privacy Statement indicates your acceptance of those changes.
This Privacy Statement was last updated in May 2022.
Your use of our website is subject to our Terms and Conditions available on our website. We may also make reference to the use or disclosure of Personal Information in other forms or during your interactions with us.