Who can apply?
If your organisation plans to apply to Foundation North for a grant, the first step is to check whether you are eligible.
We are a community funder that funds and works with communities in Auckland and Northland. We understand that the needs of our communities will change, and we aim to continually engage with communities to understand their strengths and needs.
To be considered for funding your organisation needs to be:
- able to demonstrate charitable purpose. This can be fulfilled by:
- an organisation being a registered organisation – charitable trust, incorporated society, Marae, Statutory Body, Branch of an organisation, registered under an Act of Parliament, registered under relevant legislation or a Company with charitable status.
- an organisation applying under the umbrella of a registered charitable organisation who will ensure that any grant is used for charitable purposes and that no private or individual gain is generated. Note: This will not exclude the umbrella organisation from applying for its own purpose within the 12-month timeframe.
- funding being approved via a contract for services grant to unregistered organisations, companies or individuals directly, that specifies how the funds will be applied for charitable purposes.
- able to provide us with annual accounts
- providing a service, project or programme of benefit to the communities of Auckland and/or Northland. Our boundaries, as defined by our Trust Deed, can be found here.
- An organisation is generally not able to receive more than one grant in a 12-month period. Exceptions will be made, on a case-by-case basis, for organisations providing an umbrella function, where there is a demonstrated and urgent need for additional support or where flexibility in timelines are needed for organisations in transition or organisations engaged in prototyping.
Not a registered Charitable Trust or Incorporated Society? Need an Umbrella/Fund Holder?
We understand to support some of the outcomes we want to achieve, we need to think about support for unregistered groups or to help groups become ready for applying for grants. Foundation North will continue to support these groups through allowing them to apply under the umbrella of a registered organisation; which will act as a fund-holder and ensure accountability is completed. This will not exclude the umbrella organisation from applying for its own costs within the 12-month timeframe.
Registering your group
When you register, you will be able to register in your own group’s name and tell us which organisation will act as your legal umbrella/fund holder. Please note that this organisation must be registered on Foundation North’s Funding Hub also. For assistance - call
Making an application for funding
Support documents will need to be provided along with your funding request by your group and the ‘umbrella’ organisation. Please click on the link below for further information about ‘umbrella’ funding requests and support documents.
Our funding opportunities
We have two funding programmes that are open all year, and that you can apply for online at any time.
We also offer funding that works in new ways to achieve impact. These tend to be experimental programmes that are available for fixed periods, or on an invitation basis – see below for programmes that are currently open:
If your organisation is outside the boundaries of our region, an application can still be considered if it will provide benefit to our region.
Please contact us to find out whether you should apply.
The Foundation's southern boundary is from Port Waikato Head following the Waikato River to the Whangamarino River, then along the Whangamarino River, before following the Mangatangi Stream to where it adjoins Mangatangi Road. The boundary then runs from the corner of Monument and Miranda Roads straight to Miranda. Our region covers all areas north of this, up to Cape Reinga and including the islands in the Hauraki Gulf.